Yesterday, we shared Steve Smith's presentation from InfluenceHR titled, "Building a Brand Newsroom: How the Rules of Content Marketing are Changing for Technology Companies." Today, you can catch the ebook that was released at the same time, "11 Tips for Building a Brand Newsroom."
Steve's 11 tips are outlined here — but I recommend you check out the ebook for the commentary and his thoughts on what you need for a successful content marketing strategy.
- Cut the bulls#!t. People see right through spin.
- Think like a journalist. Think about how your work can benefit your audience, not just sell stuff.
- Think like your audience. Think about how to be their advocate.
- Think like an evangelist. Like a crusading journalist, pursue The Truth with fervor.
- Tell stories. To tell a story worth hearing, adopt a unique point of view.
- Commit to consistency. That means an editorial calendar.
- Be agile and be topical. You're always on a deadline.
- Be relevant. What you say better be worth saying.
- Think in terms of relationships. Treat your audience like people who matter.
- Be concise. People today have short attention spans.
- Get a champion. You can outsource your work, but you can't outsource your passion.